Speed Wedge MKII Radar speed sensor
Speed measurement for in-door and off-highway vehicles, conveyor belts, material flow, open channel water surface flow ...
Speed Wedge MKII is a true-gound speed sensor and active motion detector for moving objects, based on Radar Doppler technology. Speed Wedge MKII deploys a Radar Frontend with planar antennas continously emitting electromagnetic waves at 24 GHz. Due to the movement of the sensor or the object the frequency of the back-scattered waves are doppler shifted. Doppler signal is deployed for speed measurement.
The forward speed of e.g. an indoor transportation vehicle, fork lift, conveyor belt, off-highway vehicle, UGVs unmanned ground vehicles and rail applications is measured contactless thus unsusceptible to wheel / traction slip and slide, effective tire / wheel circumference and sinking in of the tire. For demanding applications in harsh environments Speed Wedge MKII is sealed and potted in a rugged encasing.
Speed Wedge MKII is available in variants with pulse, serial RS232 and CAN-Bus output. High speed up to 200 km/h is available.
Speed Wedge MKII data sheet
Speed Wedge MKII declaration of conformity
Speed Wedge MKII user manual
- Contactless untethered measurement of true-ground speed and distance travelled (odometry).
- Regardless of wheel/ traction slip and slide.
- Regardless of actual wheel/ tire circumference affected by e.g. wear, varying tire inflation pressure, sticky material building up.
- Regardless of sinking in of tires/ tracs on soft ground.
- Commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) solution.
- One solution for all types of vehicles in diverse fleets.
- Favorable total cost of ownership compared to case-by-case retrofit of diverse existing fleets speed measurement solution e.g. CAN OBD, RPM sensors, Gearbox sensors ....
- OEM-agnostic solution.
- High dynamics and signal update rate.
- True speed over ground for traction, slip and breaking monitoring and control.
- Easy installation in parallel or perpendicular to the object/ surface being measured.
- Unsusceptible against varying properties of the ground surface.
- Pulse output according to DIN 9684/ ISO 11786 and serial RS232.
- Option: CAN-Bus interface.
- Speed range from below 0.8 km/h up to high speed of 200 km/h.
- Situational awareness : detection of stop and direction of movement (forward - backward).
- Basis for precise output application e.g. spraying, fertilizer application, seeding requiring forward speed & distance travelled.
- Applicable as a dead reckoning system component for inertial measurement units IMS in GPS/GNSS-denied/ constricted environments e.g. in-doors, tunnels, (underground) mining .....
- Assisting/ augmenting GNSS with independent true-gound-speed.
- Sensor fusion with GNSS and IMS improving positioning accuracy, quality and reliability.
- Assistance/ augmentation for in-door Real-Time Locating Systems (RTLS.)
- Improving safety, integrity and confidence in autonomous & safety solutions on and off the road, in buildings/ warehouses, in underground mining ...
- Independent true-ground-speed - backing for GNSS INS, positioning and navigation in mobile IoT.
- Integration in INS for improved immunity against GNSS jamming and spoofing attacks.
- Tire/ wheel slip & slide monitoring and closed loop control for vehicles.
- Tire/ wheel wear monitoring comparing to wheel ticks e.g. for mining dump trucks/ haulers, rail wagons/ locomotives.
|Power supply||+9 VDC to +28 VDC|
|Current consumption||< 200 mA|
|Operating temperature||-40 °C to +70 °C|
|Storage temperature||-40 °C to +85 °C|
|Frequency and EIRP||24.15 to 24.25 GHz at 12.7 dBm EIRP|
|Output signal||130 Pulses / m (36,1 Hz km-1 h-1) acc. DIN 9684 / ISO 11786
and serial RS232 or CAN-Bus
|Output signal update rate||20 Hz|
|Speed range||0.8 km/h to 200 km/h|
|Sensor Configuration||One Radar Frontend|
|System Accuracy||0.5 % F.R.|
|Dimensions - less cable, with flaps||55 mm wide, 110 mm long, 45 mm heigh|
Overmolded DIN M12 male plug, connector options t.b.d., e.g. Deutsch, Wheather Pack, AMP Superseal
|Vehicle Installation||Base plate parallel to the object being measured, unobstructed view to the surface|
EN 62368-1:2014 + A11:2017, IEC 62368-1: 2014 + A11:2017, EN 60950-22:2017
|EMC||EN 301 489, EN 61326-1:2013|
EN 62311 (MPE)
Directive 2011/65/EU, EN 50581:2012 (EN IEC 63000:2018)
|RED||EN 300 440, SRD (1GHz to 40 GHz) - Category 1|
|FCC (U.S.A.)||FCC §15.249, Contains FCC ID: UXC-SMR-3X3, FCC ID: AXQCSWMKII-21, FCC 47 CFR Part 1|
|ISED (Canada)||ISED RSS-210 Annex B.10, Contains IC ID: 6902A-SMR3X3, RSS-GEN/ICES-003, Class B|
|ISO 20653 : IP6KX, IPX7, IPX9K|
|ACMA (Australia)||Letter of authorisation for RCM compliance mark & Supplier´s declaration of conformity from RCM responsible supplier number E304, ACN/ARBN 84156023504|
|Dry heat test (CENELEC)||DIN EN 60068-2-2, DIN EN 50155|
|High temp. test (AREMA)||MIL-STD810G|
|Low temp. test (CENELEC)||DIN EN 60068-2-1, DIN EN 50155|
|Low temp. test (AREMA)||MIL-STD810G|
|High temp. storage (AREMA)||MIL-STD810G|
|Low temp. storage (AREMA)||MIL-STD810G|
|Low temp. storage (CENELEC)||DIN EN 60068-2-1, DIN EN 50155|
|Humidity / Damp heat (AREMA)||MIL-STD810G|
|Humidity / Damp heat (CENELEC)||DIN EN 60068-2-30, DIN EN 50155|
|Random vibration||DIN EN 60068-2-64, DIN EN 61373|
|Mechanical shock||DIN EN 60068-2-27, DIN EN 61373|
|Sine vibration (AREMA)||MIL-STD810G|
|Resonance search (AREMA)||
|Mechanical shock (AREMA)||